Lenskart is an Indian eyewear company that was founded in 2010 by Peyush Bansal, Amit Chaudhary, and Sumeet Kapahi. It has since become one of the largest online eyewear retailers in the country, with over 700 stores across 175 cities. In this blog post, we will delve into the success story of Lenskart and everything you need to know about it.
Table of Contents
Peyush Bansal, the founder of Lenskart, was born in Chandigarh, India. After completing his engineering degree in Canada, he worked for Microsoft for a few years before returning to India in 2007. While in India, he noticed that there was a lack of organized retail in the eyewear industry and decided to start his own company.
In 2010, Bansal, along with his co-founders, launched Lenskart to revolutionize the eyewear industry in India. They wanted to make it easy and affordable for people to buy high-quality eyewear, and they saw an opportunity to do so by selling glasses online.
Initially, Lenskart faced many challenges. One of the biggest obstacles was convincing people to buy glasses online, as most Indians preferred to buy eyewear from physical stores. However, Bansal and his team persevered and gradually built a loyal customer base.
Over the years, Lenskart has grown exponentially. In 2011, the company raised its first round of funding from IDG Ventures, and in 2013, it raised another round of funding from investors like Ronnie Screwvala and TPG Growth. In 2016, it raised $60 million in a funding round led by IFC and Ratan Tata.
Today, Lenskart is valued at over $2 billion and is one of the most successful e-commerce companies in India. The company has expanded its product offerings to include contact lenses and sunglasses, and it has opened over 700 physical stores across the country.
In addition to its e-commerce and retail operations, Lenskart has also invested heavily in technology. The company has developed a 3D virtual try-on feature that allows customers to see how glasses will look on them before they buy them. It has also invested in AI-powered solutions to improve its supply chain and logistics operations.
- Strategic partnerships – Lenskart has formed strategic partnerships with various companies to strengthen its position in the market. In 2017, the company partnered with Uber to launch the UberEYES program, which provided free eye check-ups and discounted eyewear to Uber riders in select Indian cities. The partnership helped Lenskart reach a wider audience and promote its brand to potential customers.
- Innovation in technology – Lenskart has continuously invested in innovative technology to enhance the customer experience. In 2020, the company launched the “Lenskart Vision Fund,” which aims to invest in startups that are developing cutting-edge technology in the eyewear industry. The fund has already invested in several companies, including ThinOptics and 6over6, which have helped Lenskart enhance its technology capabilities and improve its product offerings.
- Social responsibility – Lenskart has also demonstrated a commitment to social responsibility. In 2020, the company launched the “Lenskart Gold Membership,” which allowed customers to donate a portion of their purchase to various charitable organizations. Lenskart has also partnered with several non-profit organizations to provide free eyewear and eye check-ups to underprivileged communities in India.
- Brand recognition – Lenskart has built a strong brand identity in the Indian market. The company’s humorous and quirky advertising campaigns have resonated with customers and helped to establish Lenskart as a fun and approachable brand. The company’s tagline, “Log pehenenge, Lenskart.com,” which roughly translates to “People will wear Lenskart.com,” has become a popular catchphrase in India.
- Impact on the Indian eyewear industry – Lenskart’s success has had a significant impact on the Indian eyewear industry. The company has disrupted the traditional retail model and has made it easier for customers to purchase eyewear online. Lenskart’s success has also inspired other Indian startups to enter the e-commerce industry and has contributed to the growth of India’s overall economy.
One of the key factors behind Lenskart’s success is its innovative business model. By selling eyewear online, the company can offer a wider selection of products at lower prices compared to traditional brick-and-mortar stores. Additionally, Lenskart’s virtual try-on feature has made it easier for customers to shop for glasses online by allowing them to see how different frames will look on their faces.
Another factor that has contributed to Lenskart’s success is its focus on customer experience. The company offers a range of services, such as free home eye check-ups and free returns, to ensure that customers have a hassle-free shopping experience. This has helped Lenskart build a loyal customer base and has contributed to its growth.
In recent years, Lenskart has also expanded its product offerings to include contact lenses and sunglasses. The company has partnered with several international brands to offer a wide range of high-quality products to its customers.
Lenskart’s success has had a significant impact on the Indian e-commerce industry. The company has helped to establish India as a major player in the global e-commerce market and has paved the way for other Indian startups to succeed in the industry. Moreover, Lenskart’s success has contributed to the growth of India’s overall economy by creating jobs and driving innovation.
Some additional details on Lenskart’s Success Story and Impact:
- Partnership with Softbank Vision Fund – In 2020, Lenskart announced a partnership with Softbank Vision Fund, which is one of the largest technology investors in the world. This partnership has enabled Lenskart to expand its product offerings and invest in new technology to improve its operations.
- Expansion into international markets – In addition to its operations in India, Lenskart has also expanded into international markets such as Singapore, Hong Kong, and the Middle East. This has helped the company reach a wider audience and has contributed to its growth.
- Acquisition of other companies – Lenskart has also grown through the acquisition of other companies in the eyewear industry. In 2019, the company acquired 3D scanning and eyewear recommendation startup 6over6 for $30 million. This acquisition has helped Lenskart enhance its technology capabilities and improve its customer experience.
- Focus on sustainability – Lenskart has also been recognized for its commitment to sustainability. The company has implemented several eco-friendly initiatives, such as using recycled materials in its packaging and reducing its carbon footprint. In 2021, Lenskart also announced that it would be launching a program to recycle used contact lenses and blister packs.
- Awards and recognition – Lenskart’s success has been recognized by several industry awards. In 2020, the company was named the “E-commerce Company of the Year” at the Economic Times Awards for Corporate Excellence. Lenskart has also been featured in Forbes’ “30 Under 30” list and has been named one of the “Most Innovative Companies” by Fast Company.
In conclusion, Lenskart is a true success story in the Indian e-commerce industry. The company’s founders saw an opportunity to revolutionize the eyewear industry in India, and they have done so by offering high-quality, affordable eyewear online and in physical stores. Lenskart’s commitment to technology and sustainability has also set it apart from its competitors. With its continued growth and innovation, Lenskart is poised to remain a leader in the Indian e-commerce industry for years to come.